Re: [Gnu-arch-users] rsync, windows <-> GNU/Linux

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] rsync, windows <-> GNU/Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:22:16 +1100

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:22, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>
> > Hopefully useful to someone at some point.
>
> If you're using rsync in a bi-directional way like that, you should
> really consider using unison instead.  It runs natively under Windows
> and Unixy systems, and is specifically designed for this kind of
> synchronisation task.  The scripts that you posted won't handle file
> deletions or renames, for instance (deleted files must be deleted by
> hand on both replicas).

OK - deletes have been a annoying for us.

How does unison know what should be deleted?

> > rsync -rltvuzb --exclude=".arch-ids" --exclude="*~"
>
> Why do you exclude .arch-ids?

Because we don't run arch on Windows, and from memory it might have been
causing some sort of problem. But perhaps not, and I just excluded it so
the tree on the Windows guy's machine was clear (for his .jar builds
etc).

thanks
zen