Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] mirroring concepts/practice help
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:06:09 -0500

Kevin Geiss wrote:
what is the high-level concept/rule involved behind this behavior? I know I would be unable to commit changes in a working tree I get from the mirror, but I thought I could simply check out a working tree to look at it. should I just shut up and make my local archive and start tagging? :)

The concept is: the real name should always be used except when using the archive-mirror command.

$FOO is an archive you can get from.  It may or may not be a mirror.
If $FOO is a mirror, $FOO-SOURCE is the upstream archive that you'll use to update $FOO. If you want to create a remote mirror, $FOO-MIRROR is the remote mirror, and $FOO is the archive you'll use to update $FOO-MIRROR.

I'm aware that this is messy, and in fact we hope to move to a different way of identifying mirrors in baz.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology