[Gnu-arch-users] False "binary" files

From: Sergio Callegari
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] False "binary" files
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:40:28 +0100

First of all, apologizes to everybody for having resurrected a thread that had already been deeply discussed. I'm relatively new to this list and when I searched for previous stuff on the topic I was searching "zip" and "tar.gz" while I should have searched preprecommit to get to the right stuff.

Then a couple of questions...

I've had a look to pre-precommit and apparently it can do the job, but I still see a couple of things that are not completely clear to me:

1) The docs I found on pre-pre-commit are very sparse. For instance the arch tutorial does not mention it and I managed finding something on it only on this list and the wiki. Can someone point me to a more comprehensive source of info and possibly usage examples? 2) Has the preprecommit interface completely stabilized? Or is it likely that the hooks might change in the future? 3) If I use preprecommit, then I get "weird" behaviour from changes, lint and so... Is there a way to use hooks also to pre-expand the compressed archive automatically before running these and eliminating the expansion after? Actually it would be even better to have something "built in" in arch to get something like
tla changes
ZM   presentation.sxi
pointing the fact that a compressed archive "Z" type (Zip) has been modified, without the need to deal with the individual changes in the files it contains... I guess this is what many "not-so-technical" users would expect. I agree it wouldn't help solving conflicts... but if the originating file is openoffice or whatever, one can expect the user to manually solve the conflicts using openoffice anyway. 4) would it be possible/easy to build in arch per-project hooks, without needing a "global hoot" seeking for hooks in the individual projects?

4) sorry, completely out of topic....
If one uses this list in "digest mode" or from the web interface at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/, is there a way to answer to messages "in thread"?

Thanks to everybody

Sergio