Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Binary files in archives

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Binary files in archives
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:53:39 -0500

Попков Александр wrote:

John Arbash Meinel wrote:

But in schema:

One project <=> some developers

Binary files would cause conflicts every time?!
Which workaround you may advice to me?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately that is the problem with binary formats. You cannot
extract the changes from the file.

I can think of a couple possibilities.

Save the files as .rtf files. These are formatted text, which should
mean that diff can extract changes. However, as the format might be
involved, I don't know if a fuzzy patch will work without breaking the >file.

My real recommendation is to use something better than .doc files. Such
as reStructuredText.
Also, if they did their commits with appropriate summaries, you can use
a Changelog instead. "tla logs -s" should provide a good start, but tla
also supports automatically maintaining a changelog file. You just need
the tag to start with "automatic-Changelog"

Doc file I give for example, really we have *.[doc|xls|vsd|rar|zip] for
well documented project... May be doc and xls we can change to other
(text-based) format, but what about Visio?

;(

Well, binary files are always a problem. Because the item which is
creating them is the only thing that knows the structure, and therefore
must also provide a way to merge them.

Now, I think Word does have this feature. I forget the exact menu item,
but something about open a file and compare the changes.

I don't know about xls/vsd, etc.

tla handles it pretty well, I think. When you have a conflict it leaves
a .rej and .orig file lying around. This lets you run whatever merging
program you would like. Which might be as simple as copying the .orig
overtop the file. I don't remember which file is exactly which, but it
lets you handle it after the fact.

---
WBR, Alexander Popkov.

John