Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'

From: Jacob Gorm Hansen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [ANNOUNCEMENT] /Arch/ embraces `git'
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:38:59 -0700

Tom Lord wrote:

Stop panicing.  You are just a tiny bit confused about the tech
here. It should tell you something that Linus and I, whom you would seem to think are coming from opposing perspectives, are
actually in strong agreement.

It's confused to think that blob addresses and revision names are
alternatives for the same thing.  The truth is closer to a revision
name resolving to a blob address, in some contexts but not all.

No, I was not confused, and I was only mentioning revision names as an example of an excellent solution to the problem of globally unique identifier for some given object. Docs on git are hard to find at the moment, but to me it looks like a content-addressed file system. I still maintain that this is a bad idea unless there is a clear strategy for dealing with collisions, and that it creates just as many problems as it solves.

Funny thing, I was actually trying to create a similar versioning file-system about 1.5 years ago (though using md5 rather than SHA-1, and using postgresql rather than the file system as my index), but have since be convinced that context-adressing by hash is abuse of the hash-functions for a purpose for which they were not designed.

Jacob