Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archive renaming and removing - how to?

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archive renaming and removing - how to?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:29:26 -0500

Попков Александр wrote:
Hello GNU ARCH users!

I am having two questions:

1) How to correctly rename archive/branche if I have next schema:
   address@hidden/project-name--stable--0
   address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
    (as tag of address@hidden/project-name--stable--0)
   address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
    (as tag of address@hidden/project-name--devel--0)
   and need to rename "project-name"?

Generally you just solve this with a new archive or branch. So if you have:

address@hidden/project-name--stable--0

tla make-archive --signed address@hidden \
        /path/to/archives/address@hidden
tla tag -S address@hidden/project-name--stable--0 \
        address@hidden/new-name--stable--0

And you might chose to either branch this to new-name--devel, or you can
tag project-name--devel to new-name--devel.

2) In this schema I am have next situation one time:
   In branch address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   developer made some commits (and have '--patch-5' release version).

   Then his made star-merge from:
     address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   to:
     address@hidden/project-name--devel--0

   Then his made star-merge from:
     address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   to:
     address@hidden/project-name--stable--0

   Then (!) his remove
   address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   branch (I know what this is stupid, but I need to fix it)

   Then his try to tag
     address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   into newly created
     address@hidden/project-name--devel--0

   and seen error 'conflict in applying patch-1'

   I think this conflict clause because in main archive marked
   what patch-1 contain merged patches (from patch-1 to patch-5)
   from address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
   but really this branch are newly created and empty. True?

I'm not positive what the problem is, but I would guess that somewhere
believes that address@hidden/project-name--devel--0
still exists, and is trying to build the tree, only to find it is
missing when it goes to get it.

   Other developers can work with this main archive normally, but initiator
   of problem - no!

   How to fix this situation correctly? (now I fit to remove _all_ and
   recreate)

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't it work for him to just create a new line of development
(possibly with a new archive)?
tla tag -S address@hidden/project-name--devel--0 \
        address@hidden/project-name--devel--1

Or if the version numbers mean something:
tla tag -S address@hidden/project-name--devel--0 \
        address@hidden/project-name--new-devel--0

And then he should be able to use the new branch as normal.

tla shouldn't need to go back to his old
address@hidden/project-name--devel--0 branch, since
all of the changes (all 5 patches) are actually rolled into the single
patch into the main devel tree.

John
=:->

---