Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical diff-mode.el question

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: practical diff-mode.el question
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 16:51:26 +0900

On 5/13/05, Matthieu Moy <address@hidden> wrote:
> > diff-mode.el is a godsend, especially the hunk splitting capability.
> > However, I am going blind trying to figure out why certain hunks don't
> > apply.
>
> Do you have a particular reason not to use a 3-way merge +
> SMerge-mode (and smerge-ediff). I usually prefer it to .rej files.

In some case this is true, in other cases tla-style three-way
conflicts are _much_ harder to deal with, typically because a simple
one-line change results in a giant conflict when the region of code it
occurred in has diverged somehow (whereas one can often easily find
the "equivalent" change to make from seeing the real one-line change).
 It really depends on the particular case.

I'll often try to merge using one method, and then if it's too
annoying, do "tla undo -n" and try again using the other.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.