[Gnu-arch-users] to support the continued development of Arch

From: Andy Tai
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] to support the continued development of Arch
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, there are many users of the GNU Arch SCM system,
and some people have expressed concerned about its
future.  Given that Tom Lord has declared he will not
continue to work on tla (GNU Arch 1.0) and revc (GNU
Arch 2.0), and Canonical is focusing on bazaar-ng, a
Python-based SCM not directly compatible with Arch,
but that the current C-based tla code base is a usable
SCM for many applications and the experimental recv
code base may hold a lot of promise for fixing the
shortcomings of tla, I propose that interested parties
come up with some money to support the continued
development of Arch.

I am willing to provide US $ 250 per month toward this
effort.  I hope there may be other interested users of
Arch who can contribute too.  While this may not sound
like a lot of money for people living in the US or
other Western countries, if we can make it up to, say,
US $600 per month, this money may be enough to support
some talent hacker in India or Eastern Europe for each
month where the cost of living is lower.  If there is
more money we may be able to support someone in the
Western world.

What we need is someone who is a good Free Software
hacker, has the skills and understands the inner
workings of Arch, and can dedicate enough time to
enhance the code base and to possibly finish revc with
all the functions of tla.  The work must be GPLed, as
it is the extension of the current Arch code.  I will
require that the code must be copyright-assigned to
the Free Software Foundation (of Boston, MA, USA),
although  depending on the location of the person
hired the money can be administrated via the FSF India
or FSF Europe.

I don't know if this can work as a way to continue a
Free Software project but I will like to try.  I
welcome comments.

Andy

Andy Tai, address@hidden
Free Software: the software by the people, of the people and for the people!
Develop! Share! Enhance! Enjoy!