Re: [Gnu-arch-users] on cowardice

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] on cowardice
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 08:20:23 -0700

>> when can we expect to hear from Mark?

> I suppose he is busy saving the world, right?

Heh.  You laugh about that (and so do I, but...).

Clearly, like many elites, he is often motivated by
altruism.  I hear he does, in fact, work hard to
make his region of the world a more prosperous and
just place.   Are those efforts effective?  Appropriate?
I have no idea but absent any specific critique he
should certainly be given the benefit of the doubt.

As a symbolic gesture, if nothing else, one ought to
note that he doesn't present his visit to space as
"rich geek gets to be #2 private `tourist' in space"
so much as "South Africa's First Astronaut".

So I would confine taunts and criticisms to his impact
on that (virtual) region of the world which could be
short-hand labeled "the FOSS community".

I'm pretty uncomfortable seeing my attempt to draw
him into the discussion turned into something more
general, similarly to how I'm uncomfortable when I
see people describe Bill Gates as "evil".