Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a new project

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a new project
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 08:49:12 +0200

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 15:42:51 -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> Well, in a related note, are there any solutions to
> revision control of common documents (say these in the
> Microsoft Word format (now commonly accesible by free
> software) or in the new Opendocument format)?   If a
> revision control system can efficiently allow diff'ing
> of such documents in their native formats, and is free
> software, that will be extremely useful.  However, I
> am not sure of any that exists right now.

OpenOffice is able to diff documents. However, it can only show the
differences interactively (y marking them and/or walking over them). I
am not sure it could be used for reconstructing the other document
either.

The opendocument format is a zipped archive of some XML and other stuff
(images in jpeg or png etc.). An XML diff exists and the rest is just
expanding it to a directory for taking the diff. So writing a diffing
tool for it should not be all that hard. I am not avare that anyone did
though.