[Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire your

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: hmm. an alternative to a new maintainer. Hire your manager.
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:46:40 +0200

   One day, I've submitted a patch to a project using darcs. I had
   never used Darcs before. I read a « tutorial » (I mean, a 4 lines
   long explanation), created a branch, commited, sent the commit by
   email.  I've learnt how to do that in around 5 minutes.

You didn't setup your own projects, import something like 700 megs of
(compressed!) source code, and wrote half a dozen scripts to do it
for you in those five minutes, I did that in the two days it took me
to get familiar with tla, and get _very_ familiar with it.  Just
because you can `commit, branch and send a patch' doesn't mean you
know the tool.  Just like you can learn how to save a file in Emacs
can take you 5 min., but it can take you a lifetime to get to use all
of Emacs' magic.

So if you define `learning to use a VCS' as `branch, commit, send
patch', I suspect the time is equal for both tla, darcs and CVS.

   > A long time (this is a import of gcc 4.0.1), but how often do you
   > need to know the status of the _whole_ tree?

   Neither tla nor baz let you the choice.

And I consider that a major bug.  But a bug that I can live without.