Re: [Gnu-arch-users] politics and flamewars

From: Rene Schallner
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] politics and flamewars
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:05:44 +0200

On Oct 20, 2005, at 22:30 , Thomas Lord wrote:
I'm working right now to regain my hacking mindset with the
aim of coming out with some new stuff fairly quickly.

So, what SCM are you going to use for the new stuff?
 - tla?
 - plain revc?
 - something else?

How could you, being a hacker, use any of the above three options when you *know* that there's a better way to do it: something like a new "tla" with revc storage: GNU Arch 2.0! It just needs to be written :-). And even better: you know how to implement GNU Arch 2.0, already! The plan is in your head. This makes you the person suited best to implement GNU Arch 2.0, in my eyes. At least, this option looks more viable to me than you mentoring someone through the process of hacking GNU Arch 2.0. Quite likely, once there's enough code out there, GNU Arch 2.0 will attract contributors (like: current tla users interested in 2.0) so you might not need to write it all yourself. Plus, you know that there are a few people out there who would be willing to contribute at least a bit of money to the GNU Arch 2.0 project...

So, while hacking the new stuff: Ask yourself at every commit whether you really don't see a point in writing 2.0.... ;-)

    -Rene