Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 and binary files

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch 2.0 and binary files
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:43:47 -0400

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 01:57:56PM -0700, Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> At one point in time it was also 50-60 times slower than bzip...
[...]
> Though this article claims it is now faster than gzip:

Thus sayeth the manpage:

  The ideas behind rzip were first implemented in 1998 while I was
  working on rsync. That version was too slow to be practical, and was
  replaced by this version in 2003.

So both could be true.  It does use bzip2 internally, but the author
states it *can* be faster if less data is compressed due to it doing
its job right on a long-distance redundant dataset.