Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 21:29:00 +0100

   I worked on creating a virtual filesystem (hackerlab vu layer) for
   both zip files, and for an sqlite database. I don't know that I got
   very far with the sqlite database.

Such functionality really should be in a real file-system, so that you
don't have to require special libraries to use either zip files, sql
databases, or ftp as your backend file-system.

I just cringe everytime I see yet another virtual file-system library,
you have one for GNU Midnight Commaner, then you have one for GNOME,
you have tramp in Emacs, etc.  This should be in a lower level of the
operting system, so that all programs make use of whatever fancy
features one has without having to modify them.

Did I say that the Hurd supports for all of this? ;-)