Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH implementat

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] Support for several SSH implementations
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:57:47 +0100

   It's basically a slight update of Johannes' patch so that current
   OpenSSH and GNU lsh may both be used flawlessly (I didn't check
   about the other implementations that it's supposed to support,
   namely `fsecure' and `psftp').

Wonderful!

   All this makes it possible to specify at run-time which SSH
   implementation to use using the `TLA_SSH_TYPE' and `TLA_SSH_BINARY'
   environment variables.  Example:

One small comment, make the variable names a bit more generic and
descriptive and preferbly use an existing name.  For example,
TLA_SSH_BINARY is bad since another GNU Arch implementation could
implement such a feature.  Adding _BINARY is redundant too.  I'd
prefer something like:

RSH
RSH_TYPE

Since you could in theory end up using plain old remote shell, or a
variant of it that encrypts the traffic or anything inbetween.  I'm
also skeptical over the RSH_TYPE thing too, cannot this be specified
in some other way? By only using the RSH variable?  Not even sure what
that variable does...

Wonderful patch though, I prefer using lsh over ssh so I'll enjoy this
one. :-)