[Gnu-arch-users] Re: doc formats (docbook thread)

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: doc formats (docbook thread)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:00:51 -0800

Mark:
> You can produce plain text from it as well as other useful formats.

Yes but it's the other direction that is of interest, especially
for technical documentation.   Some of the plain text belongs in
the source, for example.

> While DocBook is hated by quite a few people,

I don't hate it in the slightest.  I don't wholeheartedly endorse
it because I haven't had time or reason to nitpick its details
in depth but as far as I know, it's quite good.   It's very nice
that so many downstream tools process docbook text or text derived
from that.   It may very well be the right thing to use when programming
an Awiki grammar (or similar) -- defining the *target* language, not
the *source* language.

> if you wish to have the last word in this branch of the thread,
> go for it.

My last word is: please don't take me as rejecting docbook.  The
target v. source language distinction is what I'm trying to point
out to you.   I think docbook may very well make a fine target
language.

Thank you for bringing it up, in fact.  I should have done so in
the first place.