Re: [Gnu-arch-users] pushing to mirrors.sourcecontrol.net

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] pushing to mirrors.sourcecontrol.net
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 09:29:13 -0800

Thank you, David, if I may speak for all of us.

Of general interest:

Obviously the I.T. infrastructure of the arch community deserves
some repair -- not just re stuff hosted by Canonical but, in general.
For example, gnuarch.org is also not functioning well, lately.
It certainly isn't fair to Canonical to remain *dependent* on their
(or their employees, or anyone's)
volunteerism and generosity, even if we should perhaps remain
*receptive* to it.   So, perhaps the server glitch that led to this
thread is an occasion to start talking about rationalizing our shared
I.T.

And, in the news: yes, I do actually plan to start releasing
code for Arch 2.0, within some small number of days.  There
won't be enough there, initially, to migrate to but, for what
it's worth, that's coming up and is probably relevant to the I.T.
questions.

My impression is that, at this point, the Arch community
(as represented by, say, this mailing list) has dwindled down
to just a small core of lurkers, the intellectually interested,
downstream package maintainers, and a very small number of
users.   A sort of "embers" of the former situation.

That's a great situation to be in, in the sense that there's
a lot of freedom to do things like reform the I.T. infrastructure
or review the priorities of "the project" etc.

I hope that, collectively, we can design a paradigm of
how public, open source projects should work.  The stakes
are low, regarding Arch, and the opportunity great: so
the potential for fun is substantial.

-t

David Allouche wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:
David Allouche <address@hidden> writes:
I contacted the sysadmins about this problem, and will keep you informed
of the developments.
Thanks!

It should work now.

I am on vacation next week. So I hope there are no more issues. If there
are, I will only be able to look at them the following week.