Re: [Gnu-arch-users] gnuarch.org

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] gnuarch.org
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:12:02 +0100

Hi,

John Evans <address@hidden> writes:

> I am taking what we currently have in CVS, and I'm moving it to
> Arch. If we had nothing at the moment, then I would just setup Arch
> and move forward. As it stands now, I need to "copy" everything that I
> have in CVS to Arch.

So I believe there are basically two options:

  1. Create an Arch branch and import the CVS history from your
     repository so that your Arch branch contains all the history of
     your project.

  2. Create an Arch branch and just initialize it with the last revision
     available in your CVS repository.  IOW, the `base-0' revision of
     your new Arch branch would contain the files yielded by a CVS
     checkout of the latest version of your data controlled by CVS.

Option (1) requires a tool like `cscvs' and I suspect that this is not
trivial to achieve (I've never tried it, though).  Also, it's maybe not
very useful since you could as well access the history of your project
using CVS anyway.

With option (2), your Arch branch would not contain anything of the
project's history but it'd be much easier to set up.

Thanks,
Ludovic.