Re: [Gnu-arch-users] botched invariant pest

From: Peter Conrad
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] botched invariant pest
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:57:44 +0200

Hi,

Am Samstag, 30. August 2008 schrieb Ralf Juengling:

> In recent days I am experiencing the same error message again
> and again, a message which does not reveal anything to me:
>
> * looking for address@hidden/lush--soc--1.4--patch-176 to compare
> with * comparing to address@hidden/lush--soc--1.4--patch-176
> /u/juenglin/downloads/tla-1.3.5/src/tla/libarch/invent.c:982:botched
> invariant
>      *a < *b
> PANIC: exiting on botched invariant
>
> Whenever I run into this, the project tree becomes unusable and
> I need to start a new one, find those modified files and copy
> them over to the new project tree by hand.
>
> These error message are haunting me for a couple of days now
> and have not been able to make out what might trigger them to
> occur. I am working on my files, do a 'tla changes' once in a
> while, and suddenly I see this error.

AFAICS this happens when tla compares path names that should be
in lexical order but aren't. At first glance, the reason for this
could be that the list of path names is sorted as t_uchar, but
the botched invariant compares char *.

And the reason for this is, most likely, non-ascii characters in
filenames.

Hope this helps,

        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany