[Gnu-arch-users] please look into gittorrent

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] please look into gittorrent
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:11:44 -0800

Please look into gittorrent.  While there are still important (at least
to my mind) gaps between git and Arch (things missing from the former
that are at least pointed out by the latter) nevertheless gittorrent
looks initially like an important development that helps narrow the gap.
I wanted to go someplace similar with GNU Arch.

Arch does better than git in taxonimizing versioned objects and in its
management of coding history, branching, merging, etc.... but Arch
shares with gittorrent this idea of distributed, decentralized revision
control -- free software source code should be just sort of "floating"
on a meta-net, on the Internet, over a P2P layer -- just so.  This is a
political goal because of the "decentralization" part.

We also have a lot of work to do on the economics of the emerging
ecosystem of free software source code and because economics "wants" to
be "transactional" -- and because of the nature of the natural unit of a
"transaction" in software source code development and support -- the
economics of how free software can be a career and the formality imposed
by a global-scale, distributed, decentralized revision control system
are closely intertwined.  Issuing a "commit" command should be an
economically significant act -- a "transaction" in both senses of the
word.

But that's a larger, future topic, for now.   For now: please do look
into gittorrent and share your impressions.  Have they actually made
progress on distributed, decentralized revision control?  Are their
politics in order?

Thanks,