gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: GCJ build (was Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash)

From: Olivier LF
Subject: Re: GCJ build (was Re: [GNU Crypto] MD2 hash)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:51:37 +1000

Hi there,
I finally made it to the new list!

> > | if you're referring to the top level directory, the Makefile.in
> > | should not be there anymore (in my local CVS it is not).
> >
> > I meant the gcj/ ones, but isn't that build method destined to be
> > included in the top level build?

I am not sure what is best. If you leave the generated files
(Makefile.in, configure...) under CVS then people can checkout
gnu-crypto and compile it with minimum requirements, that is:

- A shell enviroment
- gcj 3.1 (at least)

If you remove the generated files then people also need very recent
versions of:

- autoconf
- automake

If someone finds a bug with a release, I think it is nice to be able to
say: just checkout the latest CVS and try again. It is one thing to ask
to compile the latest, its another to ask to install autoconf and
automake before.

> in the future may be.  i was not personally able to combine both; but if
> somebody else is willing and have the time, then pls go ahead.  i think
> ultimately we should have one way to build with the GNU tools

I have some home crafted Makefile.am that do that but I was never quite
satisfied with the result. What happens is that as soon as the
Makefile.am has these directives:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = lib-gnu-crypto.la

lib_gnu_crypto_la_LIBADD =
lib_gnu_crypto_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info 1:0
lib_gnu_crypto_la_SOURCES = $(crypto_sources)

for the gcj shared libraries, Makefile.in includes plumbing
for the shared libraries.
Unfortunatly these targets have variables that "configure" must resolve
correctly in order to produce a syntaxically correct Makefile.

This is done by having:

AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
AM_PROG_GCJ

in configure.in but it cannot be in a conditional. These steps must be
performed to have a syntaxically correct Makefile. This is very anoying
because, even if the user only wants a "jikes" compilation, "configure"
has to check for libtool and other shared library issues...
And worse: if it is not ok I believe it won't output a Makefile while
all the user wanted to do was a bytecode compilation with jikes!

I don't know the way arround this.

Olivier

Olivier Louchart-Fletcher
Email: address@hidden