gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] versionning problem on the ftp site

From: Casey Marshall
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] versionning problem on the ftp site
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:02:11 -0700

CC'd Werner Koch.

>>>>> "Arnaud" == Arnaud Vandyck <address@hidden> writes:

Arnaud> Hi!

Hi Arnaud,

Arnaud> I'm the Debian maintainer of the gnu-crypto java package and
Arnaud> I'd like to use the 'watch' system. It's a configuration file
Arnaud> in the Debian package that is used by the 'uscan' program to
Arnaud> watch if a new release of a software is available.

Arnaud> I did create a debian/watch file for gnu-crypto Debian
Arnaud> package, but alas, there is a release with a date as release
Arnaud> number. So uscan thinks this is the latest one!

Arnaud> Is it possible to move this release (2003...) to something
Arnaud> like a release number: 0.0.2003...

The FTP site GNU Crypto is distributed from is ftp.gnupg.org, and I
don't control what goes there (to a degree I do, but once something is
there I can't remove or rename it).

However, since it now appears OK with the FSF to distribute
cryptographic code from ftp.gnu.org, I'll be looking into moving the
releases there. However, hopefully Werner can help us out with this in
the meantime, or ideally tell me how I could do this myself.

An alternative would be to grab releases from the primary site I
distribute them from, which is mirrored by gnupg.org:

   <http://syzygy.metastatic.org/gnu-crypto/>

Also, Arnaud: I notice that libjessie-java is based on jessie-0.9.4,
which suffered from an extremely badly-designed I/O system, and was
very inefficient. Releases since 0.9.7 were much better, and the
current release is 1.0. I strongly recommend using a newer version.

Cheers,

--
Casey Marshall || address@hidden