gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] AES (Rijndael) for J2ME

From: Wes Biggs
Subject: [GNU Crypto] AES (Rijndael) for J2ME
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:05:25 -0800

Hi all,

I converted a minimal version of the Rijndael cipher for use with J2ME MIDP, with an emphasis on reducing bytecode size (it assumes AES, i.e. 128-bit key/blocksize, and uses none of the rest of the gnu.crypto framework). It ends up at about 4.5K when compiled without debug. I can post or email it if it's useful to others.

I haven't put a lot of thought into how the general gnu.crypto architecture could best accommodate J2ME. With minor compromises it might be feasible to have the existing Rijndael class wrap the minimal AES code, so they can both live in CVS and avoid code duplication -- J2ME users could just grab the one class.

Of course AES by itself is not too useful without PKI for key exchange, and it will be harder to convert an asymmetric algorithm that relies on BigInteger arithmetic (BouncyCastle has done this for the lightweight crypto package and the resulting classes are quite large). But AES with key delivery via a push mechanism like SMS approximates the security environment of OMA DRM 1.0 separate delivery, which was my immediate goal.

I didn't see this discussed in the archives so I apologize if this is well-trodden ground.

Wes