[GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?

From: Shyam | ശ്യാം ക ാരനാട്ട് | Karanattu
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:33:19 +0530

Hi,
Thanks a LOT for yavor, and daniel for those long explanations!
Inspiring from it, i just cleared the maint-guide.pdf and moving on to
developer reference and studying apt and other repo related stuffs. ;-).

Ompaul was saying last month on irc about expanding the builder code to
base it on debian, that as the short term solution that can be done with the
limited resources and developers available. Don't know if any one(samgee?) is
doing it now. I would have tried joining that but that i am yet to do a
fresh running trial on builder. I (or anyone near me) don't have enough
bandwidth to get the whole repo in any near time. I should take an
overnight travel to IITM and get ubuntu repo from there next week.

> The long term solution, in my view, is to develop an absolutely free
> distro from scratch, of course basing it off (initially at least, and
> probably forever for the packaging-specific toolchain) an existing
> one.

Sure. Would be great to chase such an initiative. With the vision of the
people at the upstream project differing, it is hard to patch it all the
time and then to make a usable smooth system

Once again thanks a lottt for those mails. Which explained it clearly.

Also as graziano said, what about the community repository? is there
anything that is already done?
something like that http://gns.katsarov.org/ ?
I would love to do join in as i have just learned the magic of building
debs:)

It is sure thing that we would be proceeding from the way gNS
currently is. Hoping to know more about the actions that can be done :).

Happy hacking
Shyam K