Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:42:25 +0200

Yavor Doganov escribió:
> Mgg wrote:
>> On Fri 14 Aug 2009 15:08:18 Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
>>> I think that a program that needs a proprietary piece to work is
>>> not free software, even if it is GPL'd.
>> a too opresive view
>
> I disagree; this is the view of the free software movement.  What are
> the "oppressive" bits here?  A GPL'ed program that relies on non-free
> software to function properly is free software, but it's useless in
> the Free World.  Hence, we should not distribute such programs.
>
> There are many past and present examples of these:
>
>   * The KDE stack when Qt was proprietary software;
>   * Any free Java program that relied on classes not implemented in
>     GCJ/Classpath, before Sun made their implementation free software.
>   * Lots of free Mac OS X/Cocoa programs that rely on classes/methods
>     that are not implemented in GNUstep;
>   * A free device driver that relies on non-free firmware to operate.

Now we reject a gpl-2 software?

If this software have 4 liberties is free software.

Becuse

we can use this software
we can access to source code
we can change this software
we can distribute modified copies

if this 4 liberties are in any software software is free according to
FSF definition.

User can be anything with this software even don't use it.

But if license is GPL-2 is GPL-2!

If this gpl-2 software is not operative is not our problem.

Under this condition.

Any GNU/Linux systems is not free software, even fully free distribution.
Because any user can install non-free software like Google Earth or
codeweavers with internet explorer or with microsoft office so easy..

We need block software instalation also to prevent it??

That is insane!

Regards

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel