Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exter

From: Daniel Olivera
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:53:35 +0200

Yavor Doganov escribió:
> Daniel Olivera wrote:
>> Our job may be clear about this "line".
>> Packages with 4 freedoms may be included, work or not, experimental
>> or not.
>
> So, if someone writes a fancy script whose whole purpose is to
> download many popular non-free packages (Opera, Adobe's PDF reader,
> etc.) and install them, and he releases it under a free license such
> as GPL, it would be acceptable for inclusion in Ututo?

No.
Script is ok better if is gpl
But software to install (like linking dependencies to compile any
software) is non-free.

> Note that this is not a hypothetical example.  Debian's "contrib"
> section of the archive is full of such wrappers -- free packages which
> exist to do one job only -- download and install non-free packages.

The problem with debian contrib is debian non-free.
Debian mark like contrib, and this is ok, but also distribute from
debian server non-free to make functional contrib software

> There is no significant difference between them and the issue we're
> discussing.  (Note that this case is drastically different from being
> able to compile and run non-free software with GNU libc and other free
> libraries -- Alexandre Oliva explained that very well.)

I don't have any reason to reject GPL software with 4 freedoms.
If to run need non-free software is a functional aspect not freedom
conflict.
We provide only free sofwtare and this is a UTUTO "line" to determine
clearly which software may be include in our repository.

> I firmly believe that distros should watch out for such problems and
> take the necessary steps to avoid them.

UTUTO read all licenses, even old packages to detect changes.
Like Xfree for version 4.4 in past.
Many packages are monitored by us from source code.

Regards

happy hacking!!
--
Daniel Olivera (mate.cosido, aun fuera de la ley)
Director Proyecto UTUTO (Argentina)

"Soy y seré comunista hasta el último dia de mi vida"
"La vida no vale nada si no es para perecer porque otros puedan tener,
lo que uno disfruta ya" Pablo Milanes.

Correo Electrónico  : address@hidden - address@hidden

Argentina - Teléfono: +54  11 5353-9494 Extension: 2943434
España    - Teléfono: +34 957 780744          Fax: +34 957 780645
Sistemas VoIP       : ututo01 (Skype/Ekiga)
Mensajeros          : Jabber: address@hidden
                         ICQ: 8368437
Blog                : www.ututo.org/daniel