Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gNewSense 2.3 released.

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gNewSense 2.3 released.
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:15:35 +0200

El lun, 14-09-2009 a las 14:12 +0930, Karl Goetz escribió:
> I thought this list might be interested; appologies if its spam :)
> kk

Sure we are :)

> * Freedom bugs fixed:
>  - Several packages freed
>  - Over 15 packages removed
>  - Over 20 sourceless files removed from Linux

I wasn't expecting you to publish an update, as I don't recall you
talking about that in your devel lists, so I'm sorry to say I have some
scripts you could have used -or taken into consideration- before an
update. I talked with samgee three days ago regarding to this, and I
told him I was about to raise this issue here this week.

The issue is the 2.6.24 deblobber coming from linux-libre being
outdated. It leaves all those "free drivers requesting non-free
firmware" pieces in place. That's why I wrote a patch to the latest
2.6.30 deblobber, allowing it to be used over an older kernel.

As an extra inprovement, it gets back to life some drivers as the BNXII
or e100. That is why we updated our 2.2 branch to 2.2.1 the same day as
the Trisquel 3.0 release, including this new kernel.

I sent the patch to the linux-libre list two weeks ago:
http://www.fsfla.org/pipermail/linux-libre/2009-September/000754.html