Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Wiki list move

From: A.J. Venter
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Wiki list move
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:48:15 +0200

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Brett Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just FYI: the "Software blacklist" page title on the wiki was starting
> to worry me, just because it's kind of unspecific.  I was concerned that
> people might misunderstand what we were really saying about the
> software.  So, in the spirit of Wikipedia, I gave it a nice, long,
> super-precise name:
>
> http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines

Small problem - I think the bcm-utility packages may actually need to
be removed, or at least expanded. Most distro's only ship the fwcutter
but this is part of a bigger source package with a number of tools
including a compiler/decompiler for broadcom firmware and such.
The main reason I point this out is that these additional utilities
have a major use outside of installing non-free firmware, specifically
they are needed to build the free reverse-engineered firmware for the
same cards. Having the fwcutter in a package that is actually
installed to get those other tools so you can build the free firmware
is certainly a valid things for a free distro.

Ciao
A.j.

--
A.J. Venter
Founder and lead developer, Kongoni GNU/Linux