Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Non-free code found in nouveau-kernel-source

From: A.J. Venter
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Non-free code found in nouveau-kernel-source
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:18:45 +0200

> They are interesting technical reasons, but you know that's not the
> issue here. In fact, due to this the only free driver is the nv one.
Of course the technical reasons aren't the issue - and this important to note.

> It *also* contains other non-free drivers -I don't know why those are
> included-, but there are several non free binary blobs in the nouveau
> driver itself.
Most likely they were used as a temporary starting point, to be
removed piece-by-piece so that the code parts would be testable while
the replacement blobs were worked on ?

> I read they are working to make the driver run without the ctx blobs,
> but they are included in this backported nouveau-kernel-source package.
> In the current development branch for Trisquel (based on Lucid) we have
> the 2.6.32 kernel deblobbed with the linux-libre scripts and including
> nouveau. I yet don't know how the blob removal would affect the driver.

Okay, that does put a halt on things, and suggests it should be left
out for now, to be reincluded once this cleanup is complete.

--
A.J. Venter
Founder and lead developer, Kongoni GNU/Linux