Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:35:51 -0800

"Jason Self" <address@hidden> writes:

> In light of Debian's recent announcement [1] I and others were interested in
> how
> well the Debian folks cleaned up their kernel. I proceeded to grab the source
> for the Squeeze kernel, ran the linux-libre deblobbing script on it, and then
> diffed it against the original to see what had changed.
>
> The full deblob log [2] & diff [3] is available to anyone that's interested in
> knowing.

Thanks for doing this.

I'm going through your log. Remember that a key thing is commitment to
removing nonfree bits, and demonstrating effort to live up to that
commitment. If this log shows that there is still nonfree firmware in
the kernel, then I'll help file the bugs in Debian. If they are living
up to their announcement, then they will fix those bugs (and as a Debian
Developer also, I'll definitely advocate for that).

I've also written to rms asking about the announcement.

--
John Sullivan
Free Software Foundation

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.