Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibreWRT free distro?

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibreWRT free distro?
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 23:09:30 +0100

>> I personally need a libre WRT for the distribution of free software
>> I'm writing and made to run on *WRT like platforms. Actually, I hope
>> libreWRT will also support the raspberry pi somehow, once that hits
>> our desks...
>
> I'm told the pi relies on proprietary software for several things, but
> I've not taken the time to research it properly.
> If anyone has good pointers I'd be interested in seeing them.

http://elinux.org/RPi_Software supports this, although the cited links
are broken:

  The boards do not include NAND or NOR storage - everything is on the
  SD card, which has a FAT32 partition with GPU firmware and a kernel
  image, and an EXT2 partition with the rootfs.

  We're not currently using a bootloader - we actually boot via the GPU,
  which contains a proprietary RISC core (wacky architecture). The GPU
  mounts the SD card, loads GPU firmware and brings up display/video/3d,
  loads a kernel image, resets the SD card host and starts the ARM.

  [...]

  The GPU blob is an 18MB elf file, including libraries. It does an
  awful lot.