Re: [GNU-linux-libre] nameserver reports to Google?

From: Ruben Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] nameserver reports to Google?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 18:38:35 +0200

El vie, 23-08-2013 a las 10:31 -0400, Richard Stallman escribió:
> I saw this report.  I don't know if it is true, but if it is,
> it is very important.

> If this command gives you output of: nameserver 8.8.8.8 that means
> everything you do online is sent to google. Apparently this is the
> default setting in Trisquel! Probably was inherited from Ubuntu.

I've just researched this and it is true, that configuration leaked from
the build server's own configuration, which it's used during the build
process for the iso image.

The resolv.conf file is emptied in the clean-up process for the image,
but apparently recent versions of the avahi-daemon make a copy of that
file when installed, and those settings are used as a fallback from that
point on. Those servers should in any case be queried only if the
nameserver set by dhclient (the one the router suggests) fails to
resolve the request.

I'm adding those files (/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/*) to the clean-up
process so newly produced images will not have that fallback. I'll be
spinning new images both for Trisquel and for the FSF membership card
during the weekend.