Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #871653] End of Ututo distro

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #871653] End of Ututo distro
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:21:31 +0100

dear Tobias,

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013, Tobias Platen wrote:

> UTUTO is not the only unmaintained free distro, Musix seems to be
> unmaintained too and the latest Dynebolic is two years old.

Between the last release of dyne:bolic 1 and the first of 2 there have
been 3 years. Between the 2.5.2 and the 3 there have been 7 years.

All our users are pretty happy of the fact our distribution doesn't
changes continuously, also considering the complexity of *binary*
dependencies in the multimedia field, the hunger for upgrades already
represent a problem in other distributions that have not understood
this. There are requests of other kind, but surely not of the
"maintainance" I think you mean here, which would be updating packages
like there is no tomorrow I guess.

> I think it is time to start a new free multimedia distro based on
> Trisquel and Remastersys. It should come with a low latency / realtime
> kernel by default. Some kind of a free Ubuntustudio replacement.

I think the day 100% free distributions will simply be a remastered and
rebranded version of other distros, especially for complex tasks like
multimedia production, this very scene will be dead and buried under
deep ignorance, or surviving depending from a few who know.

Pardon mon esprit de polémique, I could detail well all the problems
standing in the field of multimedia if we would have time, having spent
this last 2 years and more finding our how clunky and inefficient
maintainance of packages in Debian and Ubuntu (see frei0r-plugins...)

I wish we could have a more constructive conversation than declaring
other's project dead and substituting them, if you go on like this be
sure it will be very easy to trigger even worst reactions from my side.

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02  C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10