Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Origin of the FLOSS terminology

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Origin of the FLOSS terminology
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 21:25:24 +0200

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 03:20:24PM +0530, Anoop C S wrote:
> An interesting read:
> https://opensource.com/business/16/11/open-source-not-free-software

His opinions, indeed interesting. But who won and all? It is not a
question, both communities of "open source" and free software, often
play nicely together. It is just that free software is teaching people
about freedom, open source is something completely different.

It is not a war, or football game. And it is better putting focus on
free software and teaching people further. The "battle" is not over.

I have plan here in Tanzania to do one part of it. My intention is to
promote GNU Health to local dispensaries and hospitals, as over here,
everybody is using proprietary software, though freely shared or
copied... :-) and the same proprietary software is sold on streets,
with computers, loudspeakers on the street, in the dust, some music,
so people buy Windoze for few bucks, and other proprietary stuff. It
would be hard or impossible to enforce some limits on people here.

These guys could be making good money by simply selling a full GNU
system with some ready software on it.

Jean Louis