Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free firmware - A redefinition of the term and a n

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Free firmware - A redefinition of the term and a new metric for it's measurement.
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 10:12:32 -0800

I think FSF has struck gold with its firmware stance, basically treating it as
all other software, which it is. So the question of what constitutes libre
firmware is not controversial: can we read & understand  the source? can we
modify, rebuild, and redeploy at will? can we distribute modifications? The
only gray area here is of technical nature, like there may be firmware
literally without source, as in well-documented byte-code.

I like how you draw the distinction between options 1 & 2, but I hope you
yourself can see, this is not a soft, but a hard distinction: there's a
certain feeling that option 1 *hardware* won't be so likely to serve you a
turd. So the topic you are digging is free hardware, which is a very murky and
difficult topic at the moment. And again, FSF is right where it needs to be
with a great compromise, which involves well-documented, audited hardware, as
far as I can tell (please correct me if I misrepresent the hardware
certification process).

However, there's no deep difference between (1) and (2). The issue at hand is
that (1) as well as (2) is a blob of silicon, impractical to inspect, modify,
or share with others, and the "source" for it is impossible to pin down, as
it's the entire manufacturing process. So I believe we just need to keep our
hardware as clean as we possibly can using the social and legal means, while
paving the way for 3d-printing it in the future. If we can get to the point
where a neighborhood print shop can (legally) bake libre chips, the free
hardware problem will be solved once and for all.