Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 17:18:12 +0100

Hallo,

congratulations for adding a great distro to the list.

However, it seems that PureOS is not using the linux-libre kernel but a
kernel based on Debian's Linux kernel.

When I tried to get ConnochaetOS [0] on this list the last time, people
explained to me, that ConnochaetOS can't be endorsed because it doesn't
use linux-libre and the Debian based kernel requests non-free firmware
files and does write the names of those files to the system log. See the
thread at
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2017-08/msg00013.html

Now, I installed PureOS and it seems, PureOS does use the same Debian
based deblob mechanism as does ConnochaetOS.

To verify it, I tried the PureOS ISO from
https://downloads.puri.sm/snapshots/2017-11-11/pureos-8.0-live-amd64.hybrid.iso
and booted it on a notebook with a wifi chip which does need non-free
firmware. And indeed I see in dmesg the following message (among others):

iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode (-2)

So, of course I want to know how PureOS can use this Debian based
kernel and be endorsed while ConnochaetOS can't?

Regards,

Henry

[0] https://connochaetos.org/