Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Julie Marchant
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 23:43:22 -0500

On 2017年12月22日 17:13, Henry Jensen wrote:
> As Jason Self mentioned in his answer, the use of the Debian kernel by
> PureOS should be considered a (freedom) bug.

I personally would prefer to see the requirement for the names of
firmware files to not me mentioned anywhere lifted, and for ConnochaetOS
to be reconsidered. I've given it some thought some time ago, and I
think it's silly. Linux is going to have to have a specific name for
every firmware file, and if the only firmware file that does the job for
a particular device, of course it's going to carry that name.

Consider the case of shebangs. Back before the GNU project started,
would it have been recommending the proprietary sh program that existed
in Unix to write "!/bin/sh" at the top of a shell script even if the
intention was to not /use the script until GNU Bash was developed and
could be used instead? It just seems a bit absurd.

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io

Protect your emails with GnuPG: