Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freeslack website

From: KRT Listmaster
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freeslack website
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 13:23:21 -0600

Disclaimer:  I find this a particularly interesting conversation, and I
am posing genuine questions and thoughts that come to mind.  I am not
trying to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes.  With that in mind...

On 03/23/2018 11:51 AM, Ivan Zaigralin wrote:
> I'd like to register my dislike of the subjective approach to the name
> similarity issue as well. Not that it doesn't work. I think it works OK,
> because this is not a particularly big deal to begin with. FreeSlack project,
> for example, has always been flexible in that respect, as in, fully
> cooperative. But it would be better to have an objective criterion, like for
> example:
>
> Cannot use nonfree distro name or trademark as a substring in a free distro
> name.
>
> A rule like this would prevent "Slackware Libre", but not "FreeSlack". But
> more crucially, it would be fair, and no one would ever feel like an
> individual reviewer at FSF is yanking their chain just for the fun of it.

There's a obvious limit to how far this goes.  If this general concept
is pushed to it's logical extreme, then we'd have to drop the GNU-prefix
from everything as well.  Because, doesn't the U stand for... Unix?

I started thinking about what a cool name for FreeSlack (which could be
seen as a general term taken from project management theory [1]) would
be if Freenix was rejected for some reason, and FXP wasn't accepted
either.

A couple of joke names came to mind, and I finally settled on:

§NH - which stands for §NH is Not Hyperbola

and was my way of avoiding

§NS , short for §NS is Not Slackware

and, only then I started to wonder if the negation makes things okay.

and then it all clicked into place.

GNU would fail this same criterion if proposed today.  Just a thought.

;-)

- krt

[1]
https://www.coursera.org/learn/scope-time-management-cost/lecture/Gsh3x/free-slack

--
This email account is used for list management only.
https://strangetimes.observer/