Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freeslack website

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Freeslack website
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 12:49:05 -0700

Yes yes. And to continue with examples and policy suggestions, the minimal
length of forbidden substrings should probably be also set to something
specific. Like 3 letters is probably too short, because given a nonfree
project "ion", no one would be able to use names like "Motion" or "Lionheart".
This all may sound like fun and jokes, but I believe these are serious
concerns.

As I am writing this, I am informed that "Freenix" is approved for use :) This
is fantastic news for us, and a perfect prelude to what I will say here. What
is to stop a subjective name censor from rejecting "Freenix", for example, on
the grounds that it's "too similar" to "Unix"? And at what point the censors
will usurp this power to exercise de facto creative control over the
distribution naming? This is essentially an unchecked veto power over the
branding, and I think the best way to confront this problem is by making name
rules completely objective. No system will be perfect with respect to
*accuracy* when it comes to detecting *similarity*, so it makes sense to use a
system which offers OK accuracy, while being perfectly fair and impossible to
abuse from the position of power in the review process.

Once again, this is intended as a mild criticism of the existing process,
which I personally think worked just fine up to now. I am just fearing that
going forward will be wrought with peril, as the free software movement is
picking up steam, and more distributions come into picture, each with its own
individual issues and quirks. Unless the process is made more fair and more
robust, there will inevitably be a build-up of resentment due to subjective
name vetoes. And it won't even matter how well justified these vetoes will be,
really, the trust in the process will start to erode, and it would be great to
fix this issue before it even shows up on the radar.