Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Robert Call
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 21:20:08 -0400

On Sat, 2018-03-24 at 13:51 -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> i have been assuming that the FSDG is intended to be ongoing
> requirements and not only a guide for initial consideration; and that
> the post-review adfeno and i did last summer may have been the first,
> not because it was unwelcome, but only because no one had yet taken
> the
> initiative to do it

> admittedly, i have been kicking pureos a lot lately - mainly because
> have been hoping to see someone from pureos defend it - it seems
> quite
> clear to me that no one from pureos is reading this list - i would
> propose that one of the FSDG requirements should be for each distro
> elect a delegate to follow, if not actively participate in the
> discussions on this list on behalf of the distro - and ideally, to
> stand
> uniformly with the greater community in the grey areas of the FSDG
> such
> as the current chromium issue and the debian kernel

Some of the issues mentioned are critical issues, but not all of them.
I don't think kicking distros off the list is a good approach (unless
they show they are not willing to fix real freedom issues). As for
kicking distros that don't release frequently, a better approach might
be to get them the help they need instead of punishing them. Writing
press releases or reaching out in our networks to find people wiling to
help would make a world of difference instead of shrinking the choices
of libre distros.

--
Robert Call (Bob)
address@hidden