Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 00:49:11 -0400

On 03/24/2018 09:20 PM, Robert Call wrote:
> I don't think kicking distros off the list is a good approach (unless
> they show they are not willing to fix real freedom issues). As for
> kicking distros that don't release frequently, a better approach might
> be to get them the help they need instead of punishing them.

i hear ya, bob - i dont intend any disrespect to anyone - as for these
current examples. i would not see it as punishing anyone - just to avoid
recommending distros that can not attend to their users needs for
whatever reason

as for BLAG, it is not so much that they have not released recently; but
it actually does not exist - both the distro and its maintainers seem to
have evaporated

and as for proteanos, if no one reads their mailing list, or
communicates with their community in any way, then surely that qualifies
as "not willing"

i agree that it would be better if they could get help - i have
expressed the sentiment recently that it would have been better for
pureos to offer help to gnewsense instead of launching a new brand - but
in any case, before anyone could offer help, the current maintainers
first need to be contacted and asked if they want help - and for that to
happen, they need to answer their mail or, at least, read this list

i am not at all the type to just "throw it over the fence" and say:
"*someone* should really do that thing" - i could probably be convinced
to take over BLAG myself if i thought that anyone actually wanted to use
it - i sent another message to the BLAG mailing list today to ask
someone to join this discussion regarding their possible removal - so
what to do if no one from the project as much as offers to defend it's
very existence? is it really worth endorsing further?

o/c *all* of these distros could use more help - a counter-point could
easily be made that there are too many now for the small number of
maintainers that are keeping them all going - and that it would be
healthier to merge a few of them

on the other hand, there are new ones coming in now - even if several of
them merged or were demoted now, it would still be a net gain in the
number of distros over the course of the next year