Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:23:48 +0200

Am Mon, 26 Mar 2018 06:58:54 -0400
schrieb bill-auger <address@hidden>:

> how exactly was this issue resolved? the issue title seems spot on but
> that patch does not even attempt to address the FSDG issue of the blob
> name - it is exactly the solution the connochaetos proposed last
> august that was not accepted[1] and the review of connochaetos
> essentially halted at that point

we are dealing with two different issues here.

1. The freedom bug at the PureOS bug tracker
https://tracker.pureos.net/T362 deals with the messages that originates
from initramfs-tools, like this one:

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_dmc_ver1_07.bin for
module i915

According to the bug tracker, this issue has been fixed in PureOS.

ConnochaetOS never had this issue of printing warnings about missing
firmware when generating the initramfs, because we don't use Debian's
initramfs-tools.

2. A complete different issue is about printing messages about
failed-to-load firmware to the log file. These messages originate from
the kernel itself, they read like this:

iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode

This issue have been addressed by ConnochaetOS by printing a warning
message next to the "firmware: failed to load" line that the
requested fimrware file is possibly non-free.

This solution wasn't "not accepted" - there was no response at all on
this list regarding this solution.

As far as I know this issue haven't been addressed yet at all by PureOS.