Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 07:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

Henry Jensen <address@hidden> wrote ..

> This solution wasn't "not accepted" - there was no response at all on
> this list regarding this solution.

Yes, I stopped responding because of the push back to fix this in the way
that the other distros have. I quietly deemed the push back to fixing the
problem as lacking in the "Commitment to Correct Mistakes" area (which is
probably the most important part of the entire FSDG because as long as
that's there any other problems can be solved) and stopped doing any
further review of the distro.

But, if you want a response, the FSDG contains a prohibition to not steer
users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use, or
encouraging them to do so. It doesn't say that this becomes OK if the
user is warned; it only says not to do it. There is no further guidance
or conditionals given.

So I think that such a change would also not be acceptable under the FSDG
either, because the message is still there, and given the lack of further
conditionals in the FSDG, the prohibition would remain in place no matter
how strongly a distro might try to "warn" the user.