Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Julie Marchant
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 11:35:04 -0400

On 2018年03月26日 10:31, Jason Self wrote:
> But, if you want a response, the FSDG contains a prohibition to not steer
> users towards obtaining any nonfree information for practical use, or
> encouraging them to do so. It doesn't say that this becomes OK if the
> user is warned; it only says not to do it. There is no further guidance
> or conditionals given.
>
> So I think that such a change would also not be acceptable under the FSDG
> either, because the message is still there, and given the lack of further
> conditionals in the FSDG, the prohibition would remain in place no matter
> how strongly a distro might try to "warn" the user.

This is something I don't understand regarding that. Why is simply
mentioning the name of a missing file considered to be a recommendation?
A file name is a file name, and any executable can be given any file
name. Yeah, I get it, people can Google file names and find proprietary
files, but what if someone Googles some libre recommended program and
for one reason or another the search returns a similar proprietary
program instead? Where exactly is the line here?

--
Julie Marchant
https://onpon4.github.io