Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 17:35:37 -0400

On 03/25/2018 11:58 PM, bill-auger wrote:
> On 03/25/2018 11:35 PM, Robert Call wrote:
>> That is not part of the FSDG!
>

> it is one of the checklist items that donald put on the newly codified
> criteria last week[1] - you are correct though, that it is not specified
> on the guidelines web page[2] - maybe it will be added soon - i dunno
>
> of course everyone should be allowed the benefit of doubt to fix
> problems once found - i was not implying the distro would be blacklisted
> - i was saying that software on that list needs to be blacklisted from
> the distro repos unless some liberating procedure is found
>
> [1]: https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Template:FSDG_Checklist
> [2]: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

I just want to clarify that I view that list as a tool for flagging
potential issues; things to discuss/review. I don't think it needs to be
made a criteria of FSDG. The criteria is already "no nonfree", this is
just a resource for identifying common packages that have potential
issues with that criteria. I think I agreed earlier that 'blacklist'
wasn't appropriate for what that resource is. Like Jason said there are
things on the list that had issues in the past, or there are potential
fixes. So let's treat it as a resource for helping work through common
issues.

You've done a lot of really nice work on the checklist template Bill. It
looks great, and rather than having me bork it up, would you mind
updating it so that the list is not being treated as a blacklist? Thank you.
--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Licensing & Compliance Manager