Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 07:30:59 +0200

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 02:28:39PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> indeed, the pureos website has no indication of this - now i understand
> why, because that VCS in on the puri.sm domain - i think it is safe to
> assume that this list would be in a fervor if even one link appeared on
> the pureos website directing users to the puri.sm domain - i hope that
> pureos is working toward separating their infrastructure from purism's -
> if pureos is hosting their source code on the puri.sm domain, that
> itself may be new FSDG problem to be addressed; but perhaps a
> contentious one

There are links to puri.sm notebooks, and that is
most logical. The company with notebooks is
sponsoring the pure OS. And so there shall be
links, and there are devices on the notebook that
need attention in terms of handling them by the
tracker and such devices have their names and
references to notebooks and it should be so.

Company producing notebooks is making the
PureOS. It is very simple. The company shall be
credited and referenced whenever necessary.

Finally, PureOS appears to be commercially
sponsored, which is good thing for a free software
distribution. It appears to me that people working
on that distribution are paid, and they may
dedicate their time and efforts in making
distribution free. Those people depend of sales,
and notebook is apparently "free hardware" and
there shall be sales of free hardware.

I would not agree on placing links only if the
links are pointed to non-free hardware, however,
the notebooks and their intentions are to make and
sell fully free hardware and they are changing the
game in the world, and in that sense everybody who
likes free hardware including PureOS shall point
back to makers of free hardware.

Jean Louis