Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Luke
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 18:09:20 -0400

Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 16:41:52 -0400
From: bill-auger <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

On 03/26/2018 03:27 PM, Donald Robertson wrote:
and at this point we at the FSF need to bring some guidance.

there has been a healthy flurry of activity on this list recently and i
think the will exists to forgot about any friction in the past and move
forward - but i must firmly say that "guidance" is too weak of a word
for what the FSF needs to do to in order to smooth over the past
wrinkles - as i understand, tensions have gotten high in the past and
many are still not at ease - there are at least 2 issues that the
community has argued over for years that only the FSF should decide
definitively - namely:

* are the debian kernel blob error log messages acceptable or are they
unacceptable? *regardless of the distro*

* what to do about chromium - now i think it is finally removed from all
FSDG distros - should we just let that dog lie? - i am happy to tell
users "forget it - she is a lost cause" (that probably is the case for
'electron') - but i was told that RMS was interested in doing something
about it - so maybe the answer should be "not now - but maybe someday" -
even that distinction would make a difference - i happen to know we have
the co-operation of qt5-webengine - if only that library could be deemed
acceptable, it would have the greatest impact.

I would also be interested in where the FSF stands on Chromium,  and how to proceed moving forward.
Below is the article from last January which was apparently withheld from publishing.