gnu-misc-discuss

NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 13 and 14 January 2006 Free Culture North

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Friday and Saturday 13 and 14 January 2006 Free Culture Northeast Regional Summit at Columbia University
Date: 11 Jan 2006 05:42:14 -0500

This weekend, starting the afternoon of Friday 13 January 2006, in
Lerner Hall at Columbia University in the City of New York, there will
be a gathering in support of the Free Culture Movement.  This event
will run for about 24 hours.

For full information start at

http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2005/12/25/free-culture-ny-c-summit-creative-commons-copyright-criminals-remix-contest/

whose text is reproduced below.  A schedule is at

http://wiki.freeculture.org/index.php/NYC_agenda

Please register for the gathering in advance.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  what="official Free Culture NYU announcement"

source="http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2005/12/25/free-culture-ny-c-summit-creative-commons-copyright-criminals-remix-contest";>

 Free Culture NYC Summit + Creative Commons Copyright Criminals Remix Contest

 December 25, 2005 @ 2:03 am        Filed under News

 Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday breaks. Free Culture will be
 back with some meetings soon once the spring semester starts, but I
 wanted to post two reminders.

 First, Free Culture.org is hosting a New York City Regional Summit on
 January 13th and 14th at Columbia. Please register immediately if you
 are in the academic community in the area, as we need to start making
 arrangements for free food and other resources. NYU's own Siva
 Vaidhyanathan will be speaking and we'll have some folks from Creative
 Commons attending for a workshop on CC on campuses.

 Second, check out Creative Common's Copyright Criminals Remix Contest:

 This is a contest for artists to mix audio tracks under 4 minutes
 which use provided voice samples from Ben Franzen and Kembrew McLeod?s
 forthcoming film, "Copyright Criminals". Samples from the film include
 voiceovers from De La Soul, DJ Qbert, members of Public Enemy, Matmos,
 Coldcut, members of Negativland, and others. The best overall winner
 will be included prominently in the film and the top 11 other entries
 are to be included on a companion CD.

 I'm sure it will turn out some great stuff, so keep an eye on the page.

 Anyway, happy new years, and see you at the summit!