gnu-misc-discuss

Re: Running modified GPL software on a server

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Running modified GPL software on a server
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:48:47 -0600

Rex writes:
> Do you mean this?

Who is "you"?  Are you replying to someone in particular?  Hint: this is
Usenet, not a "forum".

> In other words, it wouldn't be OK to modify Emacs and allow people full
> remote use of it on my server without giving out the source, but it would
> be OK to modify MySQL so people can do simple searchbox queries through
> HTTP that query my customized database. Does that sound right?

No.  You are only required to give copies of the source to those you give
copies of the binaries to.  Allowing someone to run the software remotely
does not involve giving them copies of anything.  Therefor you do not need
to supply copies of the Emacs source to people who run it remotely on your
server.  The same applies to MySQL or any other GPL software.

Read the license.  If you can't understand it consult an attorney.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org