gnu-misc-discuss

Re: GPL and other licences

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GPL and other licences
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:13:48 +0100

   > by giving me a CD to install on the local server, the license
   > comes into play;

   Nope.  The license is given to the licensee, and you are not the
   licensee, as you don't get to own the CD.  You are only acting on
   behalf of the company.

I do not have to own the CD, I only have to be in lawful posession of
the content.  Section 0 of the GPL.

   > and if I so wish, I can redistribute the content if the license
   > of that content allows me to do so.

   But the license doesn't.  The license allows the owner of the CD to
   redistribute.

The license allows the person in legal posession of the software to
redistribute, section 0 of the GNU GPL.

   > The employer cannot say that I am not allowed to do so, since
   > that would violate the license.

   No, it wouldn't, as he is not distributing the software to you by
   letting you install it on his server.  You are not a third party,
   but acting as the employer's agent.

By giving me an copy, I get a license.  Section 0 of the GNU GPL.

  0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains
     a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be
     distributed under the terms of this General Public License.  The
     "Program,"

Since I have legally obtained The Program, the terms of the GNU
General Public License apply.